Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Tea


Welcome to day 20 of the Blogging A-Z April Challenge, 2013!  Each day in April (except Sundays) I will be posting here, and the posts will be in alphabetical order!  This blog is all about my journey to weight loss / good health & fitness. 

For some shameless self-promotion, I have 2 other blogs in the challenge, too.  Check them out!
Maple Grove Cemetery - Halloween related, but don't worry - no gore.  
Random Ramblings - lives up to its name.  Totally random.

********************
I'm not a big coffee drinker (except for Tim Horton's Iced Coffee with French Vanilla & Milk) but I digress. I'd rather drink tea.

This is my selection in the cabinet right now, along with the regular Lipton type and some Chinese green tea I got from Vitamin World.



This article from Weight Watchers describes the different types of tea.

Black Teas are robust, with strong flavors and about half the caffeine of coffee. They may contribute to healthy arteries and prevent tooth decay. Examples: Earl Grey, Darjeeling, English Breakfast and Ceylon.

Oolong Teas are rich teas often served in Chinese restaurants. They're associated with good digestion and have slightly less caffeine than black tea. Examples: Shui Xian, Tie Guan Yin.

Green Teas have the most widely accepted health benefits and less caffeine than black and oolong tea. They're also full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and may help prevent certain cancers and osteoporosis as well as alleviate arthritis. Examples: Genmaicha, Kukicha, Hojicha. 

White Tea The rarest type of tea, true white tea is found only in a specific area of China. It has the same health benefits as green tea, with minimal caffeine. Example: Pai Mu Tan. 

Herbal Tea Not considered "true" tea by purists, these consist of herbs, spices and/or fruits. Turner recommends citrus teas for morning, peppermint for a mid-afternoon boost, a sweet tea for dessert and chamomile before bed. 

"Trendy" Teas The "hot" teas of the moment: chai, a spicy Indian tea mixed with milk and sugar; bubble tea, a wild concoction made with tapioca pearls and flavorings like mango; and Rooibus, a popular South African tea that contains more antioxidants than green tea.

What's your favorite hot beverage?

3 comments:

  1. I have the tea that opens up into a beautiful flower, not for every day, but a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I drink tea is when I am sick. I like lemon tea or peppermint tea around Christmas time.

    Visiting from A~Z

    www.wearinglemon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink iced tea year-round. Love it! But the French Vanilla has got to be my favorite.

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!