Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Paczki


Welcome to day 16 of the Blogging A-Z April Challenge, 2013!  Each day in April (except Sundays) I will be posting here, and the posts will be in alphabetical order!  This blog is all about my journey to weight loss / good health & fitness. 

For some shameless self-promotion, I have 2 other blogs in the challenge, too.  Check them out!
Maple Grove Cemetery - Halloween related, but don't worry - no gore.  
Random Ramblings - lives up to its name.  Totally random.

********************

Paczki (poonch-kee) are a not-diet-friendly Polish treat that is traditionally eaten on "Fat Tuesday", before Lent begins.  I don't know if this is a big deal in other parts of the country, but in Metro Detroit and even in Windsor across the river in Ontario, people (even non-Catholics)  line up outside bakeries to get these things.

Paczki are similar to jelly donuts, but are denser and bigger.  The dough is deep fried, then filled with some sort of yummy goodness (I like custard) and then glazed for dusted in powdered sugar.


I have not even thought of looking up the stats on one of these, since it would be really scary.  I have managed to avoid them for the past couple years, ever since the Polish truck driver we had at work left the company.  He would bring in fresh bread & real Polish sausage from someplace in Hamtramck and he was our Paczki dealer.  I sometimes miss Mirek, but my diet is happy!

source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!