Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Eagles

Welcome to Day 5 of the Blogging A-Z April Challenge!

Each day in April (except Sundays) I will be posting here, and the posts will be in alphabetical order!  And because I have a wide variety of interests, this blog will live up to it's name.  Totally random and mostly unrelated topics. And lots of pics!

For some shameless self-promotion, I have 2 other blogs in the challenge, too.  Check them out!
Maple Grove Cemetery - Halloween related, but don't worry - no gore.
The Life of Lisa - weight loss / health related. 

*********************

Eagles are magnificent birds.  It's quite fitting (if you ignore the fact they eat carrion) that they are the symbol of our great country.

source

If you want to watch eagles in their nests - there are a number of webcams throughout the country.

Florida - these eaglets were hatched in January

British Columbia - this also lists a LOT of other cool links

Iowa - I spent a lot of time watching this one last year, but the nest appears to be gone.  But they have archives you can watch.

On another token - my Dad was an Eagle.  He belonged to the Fraternal Order of Eagles.  It is an international organization dedicated to "People Helping People."  They are behind the founding of Mother's Day (and here people think that is a Hallmark Holiday!), were behind the founding of Social Security, worked to end age discrimination in the workplace and have worked to keep postings of the 10 Commandments in public spaces.   I don't recall Dad being active much with the Order, other than going to aerie Christmas parties as a kid and going for the occasional adult beverage and Friday Fish Fry..

15 comments:

  1. Fly like an Eagle. Lovely post. I'm heading over to your exercise one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing birds. I wish I were in a place where I would see them daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! We have hawks and other big birds around SE Michigan, so I'll have to make do with watching them when I can. There's a heron rookery down the road from me, they're neat to watch, too.

      Delete
  3. Coming from Washington state, I've seen a ton of bald eagles in my day (I'm only 23)! They're all over the place and no matter how many times you've seen them they are still very majestic and awesome birds! Bald Eagles make me think of my Grandpa who just passed away. He always had bald eagle paintings, pictures, little statues, etc. all around his house. He used it as his symbol (?) for when he was Grand Master in the Masons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the Everett / Bremerton are for a couple years in the mid 90's and I only saw a few eagles. I was probably just entranced more with looking at the mountains. The Cascades are beautiful!!

      That's cool that your Grandpa had his own symbol. They obviously meant something to him.

      Delete
  4. Lisa: we get to see eagles up at Bear Mountain in NY. It isn't far from here. It is quite moving to me when I see an eagle.
    Your dad sounds like the kid of dad my father was and my dad is my hero, to this day!
    Thank you for this beautiful entry!
    jean yates, from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always Daddy's girl, his "shadow" - helping him work on cars or home repairs, following him on walks thru the woods, etc. He was my hero, too!

      Delete
  5. That's so awesome. We used to have bald eagles near our cabin and they were my favorite animal. I loved to sit and watch them circle above...until they tried to grab my puppy. Then I started watching them from inside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be scary! I've watched a hawk, which is somewhat smaller, grab a dove from under the feeder in my back yard. I felt sorry for the dove, but it's nature - that's just was hawks do! I guess that eagle thought your puppy looked tasty! It's a good idea to keep him inside.

      Delete
  6. Eagles are so MAJESTIC!! Excellent E!!
    Connie
    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I am following from blogging A to Z. I just added you on GFC.

    A MOM'S POINT OF VIEW
    http://www.AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thanks! I'm going to go check your's out.

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!