Thursday, April 21, 2016

#AtoZChallenge - Reapers


Reapers...as in "Secret" or "Merry".

One of the cool things about the HalloweenForum is the sense of community & sharing.  That being said, several times a year, you can have the opportunity to sign up to participate in a Secret Reaper in September/October or the Merry Reaper at Christmastime.

It's sort of like a secret Santa thing, where you don't know who has your name until you get your gift - if they choose to tell you!  And you're likely to not know the person whose name you have.  You just get a list of what they like and don't like. There's a $20 limit and things can be new, used, handmade, or a combination of the three.  And it's all Halloween stuff (except C-mas stuff is also OK for the Merry Reaper)!

I've done this for several years, so I've seen it all.   In 2013, Randy and I went out to pick Angel up from dance class and as I backed the car back into the driveway, something in the cemetery caught my eye!  I stopped and stared.  They both asked what?  I told them someone was in the cemetery!  So they freaked out, too!
Come to find out, my Reaper was local to me and she managed to come over in those few minutes we were gone and set up a folding chair facing the front door and left a man-sized mannequin wearing a suit, with a jack-o-lantern head sitting there.  Kudos - that was brilliant!

That same year, I was so excited to get "reaped" by this one member of the forum who is well known for her fantastic props.  
2013
I wrote more about it on my "H" post and included a link to how she made it. 

Here are just a few things I've gotten over the years. 
 2010 - a handmade note

2010 - a framed drawing

 2012 - I use this countdown every year!

 2012 - I love these little ghosties (on my "G" post!)

 2012 - a whole basket of goodies.  Candy & fun small items.

2014 - I've never seen a ceramic one of these guys!

 2014 - bottles

2014 - a neat gargoyle

Picture thread for the 2nd reaper 2015-iphone-027.jpg
2015 Secret Reaper round #2
Just a wee bit of what all my reaper sent.

picture thread for the merry reaper 2015-iphone-032.jpg
2015 Merry Reaper
She did her research well to get all the critter's names!
I do have the link to my blog on my signature on the HF, and I bounce posts between all 3 of my blogs, so it probably wasn't that difficult!

picture thread for the merry reaper 2015-iphone-034.jpg
also 2015 Merry Reaper (I also got non-zombie ones, too!)

picture thread for big reaper 2015-iphone-005.jpg
2015 Secret Reaper round #1
They're the lightweight foam stones, 
but I'll glue them to plywood and probably repaint them. 

picture thread for big reaper 2015-iphone-006.jpg
2015 SR #1
The only issue I had with this huge ghost is he really liked the maple tree!  
He kept getting stuck to the bark or wrapped around the trunk. 

They actually do a bunch of these gift exchanges throughout the year, but I only do the 2 main secret reapers in September & October and the Merry Reaper in December. I love to look at the threads on HF.com because the variety & imagination is something amazing to behold! 
 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! That's amazing that your swapper was a local person - I would have freaked out if I had spotted that in the dark!!

    I used to do a secret santa exchange on a pug forum, and now usually do a secret swap on a bead forum. I particularly love the Halloween one because it's so fun to find all of the little extras for the parcel!

    Tracy (Black Boots, Long Legs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition! You live in a great community to do things like that. I love it. Visiting after #azchat on twitter to say hi and to follow you on GFC. Good luck with the remaining days! Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally flip (in a good way) if zombie nutcrackers showed up at my door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J here, of the #atozchallenge Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team. Love from #azchat.
    How has the challenge been going for you so far? Are you meeting your goals of posting and hopping to other blogs? 3/4 of the way done!
    My blog's giveaway is still going. I'm encouraging everyone to visit more stops.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    I've never heard of something like this. Sounds cool though. I suppose it would have to be a neighborhood / local thing unless people want to spend half the limit on shipping. (Or have Amazon Prime.) Neat way to exchange stuff though.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!