Wednesday, April 13, 2016

#AtoZChallenge - Kitchen O' Witches


(confession: I usually call this my apothecary, but I already had an A post!)

The Witch's Kitchen is a rotating, ongoing work-in-progress.  2015 I didn't even bring any of it out, so these pictures are from 2014 and beyond.
2014

I use random items in funky bottles & jars that I've acquired.  Ideally, I would have them labelled with appropriately creepy names, but like I said, this is a work in progress.  On this shelf there are a couple empty jars, some long silk leaves, rice (dried maggots), thread off some Halloween creepy cloth and horsehair - straight from the horse's backside!  At the time, my sister had 3 horses.  So there's black from Kisses' tail, bright white from her mane, chestnut from Princess's tail and gray from Captain's tail.  I want to label it something along the lines of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but I can't decide how to word it.

On this shelf is potting soil (Graveyard Dirt), marbles, green hot sauce (it got moldy so I thew it out - had it labelled Ogre Snot), a black painted bottle labelled Unrepentant Souls, some bright blue beads and a leather covered wine bottle.

None of these have anything in them.  The glass rolling pin has some floral moss in it for interest.

The shelf sits on this crate, filled with things to keep the cats out.
I was pretty excited to find the mortar & pestle at the Salvation Army.

From left to right across the top.  A pretty blue perfume bottle labelled Love Potion #9, a jar of real porcupine quills (plucked right from the roadkill - the things I do for art!), shells from a lei (dragon dandruff), the upside down lightblub is for Bad Ideas, a jar with a funky moss rock and some long silk leaves, some beads, a jar of coriander (bleached witch moles)  and a jar of glitter (Pixie dust)

2nd shelf has a funky pod thing from some potpourri (alien pod), baby powder is decomposed mummy powder, the gold jar with a smiley face stopper has basic white glue that hadn't dried yet. The blue one is empty, but has a cool crescent moon stopper. The next one is some kind of BBQ rub that I found at the dollar store. White marbles.  Some green hand sanitizer (trail of slug) and a funky apple in a glass casket (the poison apple)

2013

Close up of the horse hair. 
2013

 2012
I was thrilled to find the jack-o-lantern on ebay.  We had one of these when I was a kid and I always wondered what happened to it.

2012
Let's see.  The John Doe urn is empty-ish.  The lid was glued on when I bought it but there's something rattling around inside.  The little jug is labelled Toxic.  2 crystal glasses.  The Prego jar was some funky silk flowers in it. 

 Marble, rice, coriander, marble / beads, hand sanitizer, glitter, beans.
There aren't any labels on these yet.

2012
This was Maddie's first Halloween with us.  She didn't seem impressed.

2012
Pretty much the same stuff, just in different places.

2012


I have some more cool bottles & lots of neat things to embellish them with so the kitchen will be reappearing in 2016!


 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

4 comments:

  1. Glad i'm not a witch as I'm in enough trouble for just having a fox's skull on my office window sill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be pretty cool! I saw a booth at a local antique store that has various skulls and I was really tempted by the beaver skull for some reason.

      Delete
  2. your bottles and containers are brilliant can be used year round, no? Just followed!

    Joy, The Joyous Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't leave them out all year. It would be neat, but I don't think I'd enjoy them as much since I'd see them all the time. Now I unpack them each fall and they seem new-ish again!

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!