Saturday, April 9, 2016

#AtoZChallenge - Headstones


A majority of my headstones are handmade.  They were cut out of a simple sheet of plywood using a jigsaw and painted with some exterior paint.  Then I screwed some conduit slings on the back to slip over wood dowels or rebar or whatever and they stand nicely!  They store fairly flat and are easy to move to fill bare spots, etc.
The big ones tend to catch the wind, tho. I seem to always put them to the side of the house and have to go lay them flat when the wind picks up.

One of only a couple non-plywood.

I bring them out of the shed each fall and hose them off, getting them ready for the season.

Jack is my stupervisor.



These are my fanciest ones that I've made.  I glued a sheet of pink insulating foam to an existing stone and added embellishments that I bought off etsy, then painted. 
The Lost At Sea one is my favorite.  The glue bubbled around the skeleton and looked like barnacles, so I painted them to stand out. 

Even have a couple little ones by the back door, along with Gary the Gargoyle. 

Staged & ready for the kid's birthday to pass.
Her birthday is 9/28 so on 9/29, its fair game! 

2015 was the first time I'd had rodent damage! Only on these 2 stones and nothing that a dab of paint couldn't repair.  There had been a cozy little nest built between a couple of them.

This one was a gift from an extremely talented artist from the HalloweenForum and I treasure it and display it on the front step to keep it somewhat sheltered. She made a YouTube video on how it was made.  She makes it look so easy!

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

12 comments:

  1. Wow that Hunters Moon Tombstone is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I realized the box in the mail came from this lady! Even without opening it, I knew it would be awesome.

      Delete
  2. Haha the pic of your dog with the headstones made me lol.


    x Joy (The Joyous Living)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He "helps" me every year and I always see him do something that I need to take a picture of. One year I caught him putting his tennis ball on the top of the coffin, so he had a reason to jump up on it! He did that several times, it was hilarious!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that black cat tombstone is awesome! Looks amazing in regular light, but the black light in the video was a neat surprise :)

    Tracy (Black Boots, Long Legs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything that lady makes it phenomenal. I wish I had a tiny nugget of her talent!

      Delete
  4. I love Halloween! We've always lived in a small condo, with no yard. So our decorations were limited and no one would see them (since we were the very last unit, tucked away in a corner.) But, I always wanted to do this and admire others that do. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still decorate even if nobody else could see - just because it makes ME happy! But its always good when others can enjoy, too.

      Delete
  5. I love these and your little dog, too ;D You are so, talented~ I adore the fun of Halloween and all the preparation~
    Well Done

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!