Tuesday, April 5, 2016

#AtoZChallenge - Dolls


Dolls are honestly kinda creepy.  When my ex-mother in law passed away, my daughter inherited a part of her porcelain doll collection (which had given me nightmares when I saw it!) One is out on a shelf in her room, while the rest reside in a lovely purple tote with a locking lid in the closet. 

I had seen some cool posts on the HalloweenForum about zombie babies so I collected a bunch of porcelain dolls from the Salvation Army, with the intent to "spookify" them.  Then I realized they really aren't anything I like enough to put in my house!  
So these stayed in a box in the garage for several years before I had the opportunity to pass them on to someone who would appreciate them.  This picture was taken right before I packed them up and shipped them to their new mommy.  She loves them!  I still have a few in that box.
I do have some in the house that I like.

  Pretty sure this one is from Cracker Barrel.

I got these from the local Bordines nursery - love them!

Classy!

She also came from Cracker Barrel. 
Fabulous!

The porcelain cat is the only clown I have.
Clowns are worse than dolls!

I bought this adorable mummy doll, but I have made a smaller version myself. 
I used a sock monkey and a cut-up old t-shirt. 

I call this one Lois because she looks a lot like our neighbor with the same name.  She's got some fiber-optics going on that are pretty cool.

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

22 comments:

  1. My daughter's dolls are still propped up on a sofa bed in our front bedroom. Can't work out why they remain there 20+ years after she left home. One is Tiny Tears, but neither are as interestingly dressed as the ones you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh - I just looked up Tiny Tears to see what they are - I wouldn't be able to sleep with that in the house! I hope you have your daughter's door closed!

      Delete
  2. Clowns are definitely worse than dolls, but dolls are so creepy too :) I do not think I could sleep with Mr and Mrs Skeleton in the house! The mummy one is really cute though :).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with Mr. & Mrs. Skeleton - they don't have eyes to stare! That's what gets me.

      Delete
  3. I agree dolls are super creepy! I used to think that my dolls came alive at night! Especially my porcelain ones! There is a fascination with them though that I just can't leave behind! Loved the ones you pictured and described here! So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see where you could think they come alive, especially the ones that look really realistic!

      Delete
  4. I think what makes dolls so creepy is that when we are little girls we pretend they are real human beings. So now when we look at them, we tend to see some life or resemblance of life, and the fact that they are essentially lifeless, leaves us a bit creeped out.

    Mary
    Literary Gold - Free and Bargain priced books
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those cold, staring eyes and possibly the smooth, perfect skin!

      Delete
  5. Dolls are kind of creepy. Maybe it's their glassy, lifeless eyes that stare at you.

    Stormy’s Sidekicks!

    @LGKeltner from
    Writing Off the Edge
    Parallels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY !!!! I took my daughter to get her hair done at a cosmetology school recently and I kept feeling someone staring at me - it was one of their practice heads! I was so glad when a student went and moved it - or I would have!

      Delete
  6. My bff is afraid of dolls. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them are incredibly creepy and I can't imagine that maybe someone actually played with them as a child!

      Delete
  7. Some really cool dolls! I can't say that we have any dolls. I've never been much of a collector of anything. If you collect stuff, you have to dust it! ;)
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed a downside of having collections. And of course, the non-holiday things I have out now are all breakables so I have to be careful when I do get around to dusting them!

      Delete
  8. Porcelain dolls can definitely be a little creepy. Although they do have an appeal for some people. Glad you found a good home for them.

    @WeekendsInMaine
    Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear my ex-MIL had 100 of them. She had an extra bedroom with something like bleachers built against the wall to display them - SHUDDER!

      Delete
  9. We have my mother-in-law's old doll from the thirties. The way she gazes is scary. We used to surprise each other by putting it under the blankets. I just passed it on to my niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! Sounds like something we'd do in my family!

      Delete
  10. We have my mother-in-law's old doll from the thirties. The way she gazes is scary. We used to surprise each other by putting it under the blankets. I just passed it on to my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have my mother-in-law's old doll from the thirties. The way she gazes is scary. We used to surprise each other by putting it under the blankets. I just passed it on to my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! Yes, dolls can definitely be creepy... but I like the ones you've got here. I think the green witch from Cracker Barrel is my favorite. Never knew they sold anything other than food there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I've been to have all had a general store-type area in the front and sell a lot of cool things. I only get to stop at them while travelling, since the closest one is about an hour away from me.

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!