Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Explore Detroit - V #atozchallenge


Come along with me and explore the beauty & general awesomeness of Detroit, A to Z !

OK, a bit of artistic license here - this is under V for Veterans!

This is among Detroit's oldest pieces of public art.  The cornerstone was laid July 4, 1867 to honor US Civil War veterans.
This photo by michiganexposures.blogspot.com - the rest are mine. 

The monument stands 60 + feet tall.  It sure didn't seem that tall, standing at the bottom of it, tho!   I didn't get to get pictures all the way around, due to some minor construction or repair work going on nearby.
I had to stop taking pics and greet 2 Mounted Detroit officers.  
The black horse was watching me as he went by.   

The bottom has four eagles with outstretched wings, symbolizing America and freedom. Above that are four bronze statues representing the four U.S. branches of the military (in 1876) - infantry, artillery, cavalry and the Marines. Behind them are bronze medallions of Civil War union leaders President Abraham Lincoln, General. U.S. Grant, General William Tecumseh Sherman and Admiral David Farragut. The next layer has four figures representing Victory, Union, History and Emancipation.

At the very top is an Indian queen, representing Michigan. She's wearing a winged helmet & holding a sword in her right hand and a shield in her left. This is to show Michigan is strong, proud & brave.
There's a time capsule!  To be opened July 23, 2104.
because I spent 2 years of my life on a ship named after him!
I kind of wish I'd researched this *before* going to see it, so I could specifically look at each of the statues. 

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!