Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V

V is for ...VF

VF stands for Fighter Squadron.  This is usually followed  by a number designation to tell them apart. These squadrons consisted of F-14 fighter jets - in my opinion, the coolest planes EVER!  Back in the day, when I was in the Navy on our cruise around the Western Pacific (WestPac '95) we had the VF-213 Blacklions on board with us.

Me & my Mom in front of an F-14 on the flight deck of 
USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72.
October 1995

 Wings swept back for speed.

 Wings unswept.

You may recognize these as the planes Tom Cruise flew in Top Gun. I'm really sad that the Navy retired the F-14 Tomcats back in September, 2006.  They were / are awesome planes!

BOOM!
Supersonic


fun info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!