Friday, February 28, 2014

Walking Across the USA

I can't believe I've never talked about this before!

There used to be an older gentleman at my work who set a goal by "walking across the US" on his treadmill.  That thought stayed in my mind and I poked around the Interwebz and found exercise.lbl.gov.

I signed up on April 21, 2011.  I started out pretty spotty.  I logged 56.2 miles in 2011.  83 miles in 2012, 128.4 miles in 2013 and already 64.7 miles in 2014!

This was a combination of WalkAtHome DVDs and trips around the park with the dog.  So far this year, it's from the treadmill, elliptical and the bike at the gym and the occasional dog walk - due to it being so freaking cold I only take him out on nice days.

It's pretty neat that they show you a line on the map with the trek you're taking and where you're at on it.  At 332.4 miles, I'm not even out of Virginia yet!!  It also shows you the view of exactly where you're at, like from a Google street car view.

 This is my log.  
9 times out of 10, I enter info from my phone, so I tap on the date & it takes me to a screen where I can enter my miles for the day.  

 Here's where I am.  
If this isn't a stereotypical Appalachian scene, I don't know what is!

 I can choose different maps to look at. 

The only problem I have is that you can't choose your own route across the US.  
This is the only option.  Meh.

At least I'm on a good roll so far for this year. I can't even begin to guess where I'll be at the end of my 6 month gym membership.  Maybe into Kentucky??  We shall see! 

1 comment:

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!