Saturday, April 9, 2022

H is for Halloween

Hi and welcome to my contribution to the 2022 April A to Z Blogging Challenge!

This is the eighth of many random things that just pop into my head that I'll be writing about for this challenge.

Halloween is my most favoritest holiday - as if my C post didn't hint at that!
Every year I decorate my front yard with a cemetery. It's kind of fun to see how it's progressed & evolved over the years.

I've always enjoyed it, but for some reason, in 2008 I decided to cut up some sheets of plywood for headstones and make a cemetery for my front yard.  Fun fact - I'm still using those same 'stones'.  They've been repainted a time or two but they're the original shapes. 
2008
2009, I made a coffin!  I didn't get it painted because my Dad passed away on 10/27/09 and those last days it was more of a priority to spend as much time as we could with him.
2010 - the coffin is painted now! 
2011 - the cemetery has a name!  And lights!
2012
2013 - now there's a fence!  I got 4 rolls of picket garden fencing from Lowe's and I'm still using those same fences. 
Last year, kids started thinking it was perfectly OK to cut across my neighbor's yard and then thru the middle of the cemetery to get to our driveway.  And since lights = a web of extension cords, I was worried someone would trip and either impale themselves on some rebar or mess up my stuff.  
2014 - I'm getting more & more skeletons!
And a new sign!
2015
2016 - the skeletons were having a masquerade ball.
2017
2017 - I got both the full size horse & pony!
That meant there was a fox hunt going on. 
2018 - the shack is new this year.  The Spouse (aka my Idea Man) designed it so the front window - that I found on the side of the road one day - lifts out and the sides fold in for easier storage.  It weighs a ton, tho.  
2018 - all the skeletons were in costumes & they were trick or treating.
2019 - I found skeleton pigs & chickens, so there was a loose farmyard / hillbilly theme.

Don'cha love the social media blocks?
For some shameless self-promotion.....
I have a blog, too 
 Instagram - @maplegrovecem
Twitter - @maplegrovecem
I actually made this stone in 2018 for the 2 cars the Spawn has totalled. 
One was a Ford, the other a Pontiac. 
2020 - the skeletons had a family reunion.  I'm loving the campfire!
2020 con't
2021 - look how far it's come!
2021 
I'd found a car flag from a funeral home on the side of the road, so I decided the skeletons would have a FUNeral this year.

I have been thinking about 2022 already.  I have a notebook that I always keep handy to jot down notes & thoughts in.  I don't usually have a solid idea ahead of time, but some small thing, like the car flag last year, will spark inspiration.   

2021 videos




5 comments:

  1. Love the trick or treating line of costumes!!

    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the a to z challenge. I read your g and h posts. To me living with grandkids seems more scary than Halloween. Halloween will always mean just one thing to me, the birth of my son. He was born on November 1st 2001, but we went into the hospital on Halloween. When he was younger we would have his birthday party be a dress up party so his friends and relatives could rewear their costumes from the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that your skeletons are dressed as trick-or-treaters. :)

    I enjoy Halloween but am more "cutesy" than "spooky." One of my favorite things in recent years has been visiting pumpkin patches and carving pumpkins with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have showed the progression over the years. That's quite a cemetery. Im sure you get many driving by to take pictures.
    Intensity

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great Halloween set-up! I'd love to go trick-or-treating at your house.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!