Friday, February 2, 2018

What Up, Weekend / 6 more weeks

6 more weeks of winter, that's what!

Michigan's own Woody the Woodchuck from the Howell Nature Center predicts 6 more weeks of winter.   

She actually has a better track record than Punxsutawney Phil.  He's been correct about 39% of the time and Woody's 79% (we'll just ignore that he's been around over 100 years and Woody only 19)  I mean, come on!  They drag Phil out of his burrow before dawn and of course he will see his shadow because there are spotlights on him!!  If Woody comes out of her house and stays out for at least 30 seconds, that means an early spring.  If she doesn't come out (like today) or runs back in before the 30 seconds are up - 6 more weeks. 
Why not get weather reports from rodents??
***********
As usual, I'm linking up with Lindsay and all the rest of the awesome peeps of the Peaceful Posse with our collection of  happy / grateful / positive posts.
What's up, Weekend?
***I went with my sister last night to an "informational" recruitment meeting for the County Sheriff Mounted Division Search & Rescue Team.  I just went as moral support since I don't live in that county.  Well, we learned that it's open to people in neighboring counties - which would include mine.  So I applied!  It's a new program for the mounted division, but they were looking for people for equine / canine / ATV and ground units.  
It was a 3 page application and it even had a section about the horse!  We had a discussion about which of Laurie's horses would be "mine", altho we already have a pretty big black mark against us because we don't have a horse trailer or even a truck to pull one with, but we could still do ground work.  I think the training sessions would be SO interesting (especially the horse desensitizing)!  They said they do a very thorough background check, so I guess we wait to see what they decide.   

***The first competition of the season is next weekend!  It's gonna be a long day, since it's all on Saturday.  It starts at 8:30 am and Angel doesn't compete until 6pm-ish and awards after 10pm.  She's pretty excited since she's going to be competing as an adult (as she should.)  I'm almost 99.98% positive that the only adult routines we've *ever* seen have been maybe 2 different groups of what looked like parents who threw together a routine in the parking lot that morning and took it on stage.  Hilariously bad routines.  So this'll be awesome. 

***Miss Angela's 2 costumes that needed alterations are safely with the seamstress.  She said she'll have them done Monday.  That'll give us plenty of time to make sure everything is together & ready to go before dress rehearsal next Thursday. 
  
***I can be positive about this now, but I wasn't at the time - lots of overtime this week!  The only other person in my department went home sick early Monday and was out Tuesday - which meant close to an extra 2 hours each day.  I'm OK with it, since both she and one of the supervisors sounded horrible and we really didn't want them there anyway.  Then things popped up at the last minute on Wednesday & Thursday, so tack on an extra 20-30 minutes then.  Fingers crossed I can leave on time today!  

***  Angel took Jack to the groomers for me yesterday to get his nails did.  Hooray!!  Wood floors + long doggie nails + pacing = make me crazy.

*** Bowling last weekend was a hoot!  It was the fundraiser for the studio and there was a great turnout.  I haven't heard any $$ yet, but the 50/50 winner went home with $450.  Not too shabby!  I didn't win anything from the raffle, but Laurie won an aerial drone photo of her choice.  One of the studio dads is an FAA certified drone pilot (I didn't even know this was a thing).  This is perfect for her, since the prior owner of her farm had an aerial photo done and she's got it framed in her hall.  So she can have then & now photos!   
No automatic alt text available.
We consider it a successful game if we break 100 - which I did both games! 
Image may contain: screen
*** It was so nice outside last weekend (like upper 40s / low 50s nice) so I got the front yard and a small part of the back raked.  I got a nasty blister (even with gloves!) on my right hand that's still not healed, but it was worth it.  It looked so nice.....and then it snowed again.  But I'm OK with that.  I know it was done!
Image may contain: grass, tree, plant, outdoor and nature
***I ordered our tickets to go see the Monster trucks next month.  The first show of the year is tomorrow night, but the later one always seems to work better for us.  There has only been 1 year we've missed since I got out of the Navy (2000) and that was due to an ice storm.  
Image may contain: plant and outdoor
***Girl Scout cookies by mail!  I was able to order from the little girl's (from the studio, of course) personal link so she gets credit for the sale. 

No really exciting plans for this weekend.  Randy's looking forward to playing on the radio, doing a contest so that'll keep him busy all Saturday.  It's over at 7pm, and he's already told me he wants to go to Bad Brad's BBQ for dinner.  Who am I to argue with that???  I really need to scrub out the fridge where a pop can exploded.  That's almost as exciting as my deep cleaning the bathrooms last weekend!   
We really don't care about the Super Bowl.  But, yes, we will watch it.  I bought squares from work so I want to see if I get some $$.  And the commercials. And Justin Timberlake.  Oh yeah! 

Anything fun going on with you?

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

16 comments:

  1. I'm all pumped up for Justin Timberlake at the Super Bowl too! And Girl Scout cookies, nom! My best friend's daughter is selling them so I will be well stocked as of this weekend! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great concert! Angel's new goal is to be one of his backup dancers :)
      All 3 of us got hit up for cookies- not good for the diet!

      Delete
  2. Mmm...girl scout cookies. Those are the best. I don't really care for football but the rest of my family love it. I'm excited for Justin's half time show though!!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn that football game happening around his concert!

      Delete
  3. Omg I want Girl Scout cookies-they are the best! Which ones did you get? I’m partial always to Thin Mints and the peanut butter Tagalongs. Mmmm...

    I’m probably going to have the game on in the background but I couldn’t care less about any of it to be honest. JT and the commercials will at least be entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got Samoas, Tagalongs & Thin Mints. I'm fine with them in the house....unless the box gets opened. Then I can't stay out of them!
      There were some funny commericals, but I was surprised to not see any Budweiser clydesdales other than in one of the darn Tide Ads!

      Delete
  4. I wish someone would take *me* to the groomers! I could use it. I'm so looking forward to Camdyn's soccer tournament this weekend, even though it'll be frigid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving by soccer fields and seeing all those poor parents sitting out there make me SO happy my kid does an indoor sport! Competitions roll around and I get to sit in the nice auditorium with cooshy seats & temperature control. Kudos to you for doing that!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There are so many hilarious memes out there at show Girl Scouts as 'dealers"! And it's true!

      Delete
  6. You make me realize I should clean out my fridge and bathrooms too. Maybe next weekend. Sounds like you've had some pretty fun happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure by the end of this six more weeks of winter, we will all be ready for spring! Aww, I haven't been bowling in years and now I want to go. I used to bowl in a family league and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep talking about going more often, but this fundraiser seems to be the only time we go bowling. There were some guys in the next lane who could roll their ball right along the very edge of the gutter, and then it would curve over at the last second and get a strike! We'd just stop and watch them! Sheesh.

      Delete
  8. Hey momma,
    Six weeks feels like too long but I’m in Canada and sick of this $hit. Lol!
    Isn’t bowling SO much fun? I went last summer with work colleagues and I thought it’d be a drag but it was surprisingly fun. And I didn’t bowl too bad. Bonus!
    Does your husband sing or play guitar?! That sounds so cool. You must be so proud of him. :)

    I missed Super Bowl because I had pet visits, oh well, no skin off my back.

    Hope you’re having a great week Lisa. :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tired of snow, too! I don't think we've gotten this much is the last few years!
      We're both amateur radio operators, so his contests are where he tries to make contacts in every county of a state. In this case, it was was Wisconsin. They exchange info like name, call sign & how strong their signal is. Then they log all this info and they get points for it. It's a geek thing, but he enjoys it.
      Have a great week!

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!