Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy Independence Day!

Hope everyone has had a safe & Happy holiday!

We invited ourselves up north (its a Michigan thing) to my sister & brother in law's place on a lake.  They have property alongside 2 of their close friend couples so there were a lot of us up there (and a total of 8 dogs, too)!   

We left home fairly early Saturday morning and got home Monday evening.

It's about a 2 hour drive, so we were entertained by playing Bingo.
 It was surprising hard to find the pickup with bow hunting sticker (I saw a lot of deer stickers, but not specifically bow-hunting that I could tell at 75+ mph) and ever more of shock to not see very many dead deer!  
I don't remember how this joke started, but the only tiome we eat Spam is while we're camping and Randy has to "hunt Spaminoles" so here is one in it's "natural" habitat. 
Got it!
 We were amazed at how many varieties there are!
 It was an utterly beautiful weekend, it was breezy at times, but not hot at all.  Glorious!
 An itsy bitty toad that I happened to see in the grass.  I relocated him to a safer area. 
 Sister Linda & Dave had some "Magic Powder" to put in the fire that turned it colors.  
 Angel trying to walk all 4 of our dogs.  Barney (sister Laurie's dog) is poking up the rear, my Jack is the Beagle and Linda's "Ster Boys", Baxter & Webster are leading the pack.  Webster got the Drama Queen award this weekend.  He pulled Baxter & Angel along.  Then I took the 2 of them while she kept the slow boys and they pulled me along.  Towards the end of the walk, Linda took them back and Webster promptly went to the shoulder of the road and collapsed like he was exhausted!  The little scammer wanted to be carried!
This is the extent of Jack's swimming.  He wades out until his front feet are almost off the bottom and will just stand there and look.  
 Token selfie with the kid. 
So basically all we did was sit around & visit.  Play washer toss.  Take golf cart rides. Take walks.  Take pontoon boat rides.  Sit around the fire after dark and have a few adult beverages & pretty much just enjoy ourselves.  
Angel talked us into going tubing but the lake was packed with weekend warriors (aka people who don't know the lake rules), it was really choppy and the pontoon didn't go fast enough to tube as she would have liked, but at least she got to go.  Laurie & I also took a turn.  I think I pulled something in my shoulder.  Up until this morning it was just aching so bad!  
 The ice cream man stopped by and the dogs quickly learned that he also carries dog treats with him!
 yes, Chuck the Skeleton went along on the pontoon ride.  
Jack was pooped on the way home, but he gets slightly anxious in the car, so I had to document him actually laying down!  I use his harness & leash as a seatbelt of sorts because he won't sit and be still, he stands on the very front edge of the seat and more than once he's ended up on the floor when we've had to hit the brakes.  So this helps keep him ON the seat.  

So we got home around 9 Monday night and were up entirely too early to go see the parade in my hometown.  Randy & I usually help out with radio communications, but since we thought we'd still be up north, we weren't expected to help out, so this was the first time he actually got to watch a parade!!

The best part is the beginning with all the police & fire trucks from Clawson & neighboring Troy with their sirens & lights all going!
Randy took this video. but didn't show Barney sitting by Laurie, howling with the sirens - he's so funny!  Pretty sure the firemen couldn't hear him, but they could see him with his head thrown back, all dramatic!  A lot would laugh & wave. 

We all take our dogs to the parade, and a lot of the groups have figured out that's what people do and will pass out dog treats.  So once we got to our usual spot and sat down, Jack was settled at my feet, watching down the road from the way the parade comes!  Normally he's really protective of me, and will nip at any men who come to close (like politicians to shake hands, etc) but one guy came up with a treat and he was able to pet Jack, too!  My dog accepted a bribe! 
This guy was the main standout - he was so funny!  

It was a fun weekend and Randy & I both happily took naps when we came back after brunch and visiting with the fam at Mom's house. 
Back to the grind tomorrow. 
 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing weekend. We just stayed home and piddled around. Had a little visit with my son & grandkids.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - what fun! Did you visit Guam with the Navy? I think they claim the title Spam Capital of the World. The only time we ate Spam when I was a kid was when we were camping. I seem to remember having it fried or just sliced from the can on sandwiches with lots of mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I never made it to Guam. I never had Spam as a kid, but when we have it camping, Randy fries it up and puts it on a bagel with egg & cheese and it's actually really good!

      Delete
  3. Nice weekend. We just had fireworks in front of our house with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone lets of fireworks over the lake each year, so we could walk across the street and it in a neighbor's yard along the water and watch them. There were too many of us to go out on the pontoon!

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!