Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Holland Ponds in fall...

During the Prohibition Era, the place to go was a series of 3 parks that are now called Holland Ponds.  The parks were closed down in 1974 due to contamination from a nearby landfill.  The EPA stepped in and in 2001, it was declared clean!  Now there is a Heron Rookery and really nice trails to walk thru the woods and to see all sorts of critters and birds.  And since the leaves are starting to change - it's a beautiful place to go!   I was also happy to see the robins haven't left the area yet.  I haven't seen one in about 3 weeks but I saw one (who was camera shy) and heard a few others complaining.







Jack likes it, too!
 

He was fascincated by us!



Caterpillars - don't think I want to know what they're doing.



Heron nests.
They prefer tall, dead trees to nest in. 
I wonder if it was alive when they found it?
 




Huge leaves!



it was a nice day for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!