Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The Sailor’s Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, they lived in a crowd,
a berthing compartment,
with warriors so loud.
I entered their dwelling with presents to give,
trying to decipher in which rack each man lived.
Looking about, a sad sight I did see.
No tinsel displayed,
No presents,
No tree.
No stockings were hanging,
only boots on the floor.
Just pictures of loved one's inside locker doors.
I continued on slowly, wondering what else I would find,
a sobering thought, trickled into my mind.
This place, it was special, haze grey and dreary.
The home of a sailor, of that I could see clearly.
They stirred in their sleeping, silent, alone.
Each in his bunk, dreaming of home.
Their faces seemed pensive, even gentle I surmised.
All slumbered lightly, should trouble arise.
Eager and ready, knowing their task, every man to a tee volunteered when he was asked.
Defending their country so others stayed free,
it was a willing arrangement all would agree.
Of the families I'd visited already this night,
so much it was owed to these in the fight.
Soon in the morning children would play,
many to celebrate a new Christmas day.
They all enjoy freedom each month of the year,
because of the willing, like those lying here.
I think of the others each laying alone,
a cold Christmas Eve, on a vessel far from home.
The thought of it all brought tears to my eyes.
I dropped to my knees and started to cry.
A young man awakens, I hear his rough voice. "Santa don't cry, for this is my choice. Defending my country, it's peace, freedoms voice"
Then he rolled over, drifted back into sleep,
that's when I faltered, I started to weep.
I kept watch for hours standing silent and still, both of us shivered from winters cold chill.
My heart it was heavy,
I wanted to stay, so much to finish before break of day.
I think of them oft in the quiet of night, these guardians of honor so willing to fight.
Before I departed, with a voice soft and pure, he whispered, "Carry on Santa, it's Christmas.
All is secure..."



 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!