Thursday, November 3, 2016

Holland Ponds / Skywatch Friday

I took advantage of a nice day to take the dog for a walk around Holland Ponds near my house.  
Here's the link if you want to read more about it, it's pretty interesting history.
Heehee, I looked back thru my posts to find that link and I've written posts almost every year, full of pictures!  What can I say, it's a neat place?  Nature-y. 
Saw lots of turtles this time.  At least 2 different kinds. 
The oaks were so colorful!
There was a new road built in the far back, it goes to a random manhole in the woods and that's it.  Jack and I walked down there and I happened to look down just in time to see this pretty guy!
Saying he was 12 inches long is probably a stretch. 
These guys looked like army helmets!
I had stopped maybe 200 yards from the car to take the pics of those last turtles.  
Until then, Jack had stayed nice & clean.
  And then....
It's been such a dry year that the ponds are really low - so when he jumped over the log, he landed chest deep in smelly, muddy sludge!  I laughed & took pictures until I realized he was struggling to get out. 
He doesn't look too bad here, but he was gross. 
And he tried to wade in here, too!

Luckily I was expecting the trails to be a lot muddier than they were, so I'd come prepared with a towel.  Glad I had it!  But he still reeked.  


Linking up over at Skywatch Fridays - it's been a while!

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-124-9BF74C716651145ECAC7EDD1AB729D6B_zpsxkuumtdq.png

1 comment:

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!