Wednesday, February 1, 2023

It's Fabulous February!

 


Hey folks!  Looks like we have another 'catch up' post on our hands!  

Taking up from where the last real post ended....
If you want to see my Halloween display, I made a post over on my other blog about it.   
By the way, this meme is 100.3% true. 
But this was by lunchtime on November 1!  
The back yard was a different story, but we did have it all put away on the 2nd, tho.
Me & the Spouse.  We have teamwork!

So yeah - there was an adventure a few days before Halloween.  My search & rescue team was putting on a demonstration for a state representative lady who was running for Congress and I was on my way out to the camp where we train often.  I was stopped at a red light and...

BAM!
I got slammed into by an 18 year old kid who clearly not seen the red light, nor the 10 or so cars backed up at it - therefore had never even touched the brakes.  I always make sure I stop where I can see the back tires of the car in front of me, so there's a comfortable distance.  That being said - that's my front bumper lying there - after it was yanked off the hitch of the truck I was shoved into.  
Ruby was still driveable so I was able to make it into the parking lot of a diner right there.  The guy I was pushed into got out & looked, said he had no damage and left, but not before I got a picture of his truck & license plate!  I was mainly upset because I'd had her in the shop not a week before and got a new radiator, all 4 rotors turned and one other thing (forgot already!)  The kid who hit me was freaking out, in tears and was basically beside himself.  

Thankfully nobody was hurt.  Namely me!
  
The police made their report and called a tow truck for me. The kid was released from the scene (with minimal damage to his front end) and I was left alone.  I took a bunch of pictures & made a walk-around video, then started taking my search gear & other stuff out of the back so I'd be ready for the Spouse & Tow Truck Guy.  

TTG was really nice.  He pulled into the parking lot, but he had another car on his flatbed.  He had stopped just to make sure I was OK!  He said this (waving dramatically at Ruby) was replaceable, but I was not.  Honestly, I teared up.  He assured me he just had to drop this other car off and he'd be right back to get Ruby.  

While I was waiting again, leaning across my hood and watching the sunset, another car pulled in next to me.  I was mildly annoyed since there was a whole parking lot and they had to park right next to me??  I was going to tell them about the tow truck coming, but the guy rolled his window down and said he was right next to me when I was hit and he couldn't believe I didn't go to the hospital!  I told him I was OK.  He asked if I needed a ride anywhere and since I didn't, he asked if he could go get me some cider & donuts from the place down the street to make me feel better!  That was the sweetest offer!  I thanked him profusely & declined because the Spouse was almost there and I could see the tow truck at the corner. 

The Spouse & I went into the diner for dinner.  The hostess asked if she could get me a drink and I told her what I wanted, she didn't have!  She asked what that was and I said Tequila.  And we all laughed and I explained that it was my mangled car out there being loaded onto the flatbed.  
 
So now... welcome Smokey to the family!
It's hard to tell, but it's dark blue.  
I never knew blind spot detectors on the side mirrors were a thing until I had my rental car.  But now I have them, too!   And the back up camera is pretty cool.   And remote start.  And a button to open & close the back.  And heated seats!

Anyhooo. 
The very next night was the First Responders Truck or Treat event.  
It was cool to think we are considered First Responders!  
I liked walking around (with my skeleton, Chuck) and getting pics of all the police cars, DNR vehicles, first trucks and various other agencies.  And of course - seeing all the costumes!  

The next big thing was Thanksgiving.  We always get together at Sis1's house but for various reasons, there only ended up being 5 of us, so we didn't even have to decorate / set up tables in the basement!  We just sat in the kitchen to eat.  That was a first!
We took the grandkids out into the barn and we soon realized Little Man was not there!
We found him out in the pasture, feeding hay to the horses.  So cute!  

The next event was the City of Lapeer's Parade of Lights. 
We had just gotten our new gear trailer, so we didn't have a chance to get it decorated so we just walked. 
It was a lot of fun.  Of course we parked near the beginning of the parade route, so we had to hike all the way back.  At one point, this guy stepped out in front of Sis and I and said he wanted to thank us of all we do.  It made us wonder if we'd looked for someone for him/his family before...?  Maybe!

Speaking of - we've already had 3 call outs and one assist with another team this year!
Took the grandkids to my VFW to see Santa at Christmastime. 
Little Man turned 3 on January 2.  
He picked out his presents - a lantern that makes cricket/outdoor noises and a cleaning caddy with a squirt bottle, squeegee, sponge, etc. 
Well played, XM!

So it hasn't happened yet, but I will be moving to a new office at work!  The electrician was supposed to be there "mid week" so we were hoping today.  Nope. I've been sitting in dispatch for 22 1/2 years now and my new manager wants her whole team together, so I'm pretty excited to have windows that look outside instead of onto the loading dock.  This pic is to keep OCD people out - the desks are centered on the wall.  The window is NOT centered on the wall!   LOL!
I'll get to watch the sun rise!!
...and trucks go by.
This past weekend I drove to Kalamzoo for the Dept of Michigan VFW's Mid Winter Conference.  I probably would have enjoyed it more if it actually applied to me!  The training offered was for higher-up officers.  I technically am an officer at my post, but it's one of those very minor, "empty" titles.  I have never done anything in that capacity.  However, somehow I did get suckered into being the chairperson for all of our programs that deal with kids.  
excuse the derpy face & 14 chins!
Patriot's Pen is a written essay for middle school aged kids on a topic the VFW chose and the Voice of Democracy is for high school kids and they have to do a speech on the chosen topic.  Saturday night was the awards banquet for the kids who had won in their district around the state - they were now competing against each other.  The winning high schooler got a $6000 scholarship and an all expense paid trip to DC to compete at the National level. Pretty exciting!  The boy who won was literally shaking when he went up to the podium to accept his prize but he calmed down to do his speech for everyone. 

I was sort of nervous driving 3 1/2 hours to get there because it was snowing off & on, but spending 2 nights alone in a hotel was excellent!  I'd wished I brought a bottle of wine with me, tho. 
We were supposed to get another snow storm Saturday night so I thought it would be dicey on my way home, but the snow went south of my route and it only took 2 1/2 hours to get home. 
Saw this magazine in a Walgreens in Kalamazoo - took me back to middle school!
I had Duran Duran posters all over my room.  I also enjoyed watching them on New Year's Eve in Times Square.

So anyway, that's about all that's been going on around here.  

I have SAR training all weekend so that'll be fun!
Peace Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!