Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V

V is for...vegetarian!

Wow - writing this has been an eye-opener for me.  First of all - there's no way in hell I'd be a vegetarian and kudos to those who do!  I feel that God made animals taste good for a reason.  But I also understand there are many personal reasons why someone would choose to avoid the deliciousness known as meat. 

Anywhoooooo.  I had no idea there were different types of vegetarian diets. 

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian eats dairy products and eggs, but no meat, fish or poultry.
Lacto Vegetarian eats dairy products, but no eggs.
Ovo Vegetarian eats eggs, but no dairy products.
Vegan eats no animal products whatsoever.

Then there are the Semi-Vegetarians.  They eat fish and maybe some poultry.
Pesci - Vegetarian eats fish, but no poultry.

The main concern I see with any of these forms of vegetarianism is that you have to be sure you include enough variety to ensure that you're getting all necessary vitamins and nutrients.   The article cited in my source is geared towards teens, but is very interesting.  I think like any way of eating, at first you'd really have to be conscious of what you're putting in your mouth.  It takes planning and thought, you just can't decide to stop eating meat and then grab a bag of potato chips!

source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!