Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Awkwardness!

I got a call from the ex this morning. 

First of all - I get along better with him now that I'm not married to him and I've always liked his mom.  I've always sent her cards & pictures of Angel at Christmas & her birthday and was friends with her on facebook long before I was with him.

Anyhoooo - I figured something was wrong when he called at 8am on a weekday.  I'd stepped away from my desk for a minute & missed his call, so I called right back.  Sure enough - his mom had passed away.  She'd had  (I believe) gastric by-pass surgery back in September & had to have 2 more surgeries after that to fix issues.  I thought that was odd anyway, since she wasn't a big woman to even need gastric by-pass.  So maybe he had his info wrong - idk.  And she hadn't been on FB in a long time, someone else had been going on, posting updates about her.  And just maybe 2 days ago, John's sister posted a pic of her, still in the hospital but all the comments were about how well she looked.  Honestly - I thought she looked horrible, but I don't know how she looked before!

So.  I guess the family wants Angel to be at the funeral.  Darla had been living in Nebraska, so there will be a service there and then she's being transported back to Podunk Pig Snout, Texas for another service & her burial.  However......there is a small problem - also known as competition this weekend! 

John's supposed to call as soon as arrangements are made.  I told him that we might not make the Nebraska service, but it should work out that we can make the Texas one.  I will NOT pull her out of competition with only one practice left!  That's totally leaving the entire team in a lurch!

He also made a point of reminding me that his mom is leaving some of her porcelain dolls to Angel.  I remember those dolls.  I had nightmares after walking into the room where she stored them.  There seemed to be hundreds of them!  All staring with those creepy eyes!  {{shudder}}

There's no way I am tossing Angel on a plane and sending her off to a bunch of strangers, so I guess I'm stuck going with her.  This is where the "awkwardness" comes in.  It's been almost exactly 12 years (to the day) since I filed for divorce and we haven't seen him personally since then. 

Next week is going to be a treat!  I'm one of those people who can tear up just by seeing someone else cry!

Edit - I got the info on arrangements - they're taking her directly to Texas, and the service is on Saturday.  In the middle of comp.  So I guess we will just send a large (borderline obnoxious) flower arrangement. 

Oh - and he says he's going to "hand deliver" the creepy ass dolls.  Does he realize that we live over an hour away from both major airports around here?  Apparently not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!